More distinctive than ancient, the Kennedy Tailing Wheels had bugun, in 1914, the heavy task of picking up the tons of residue coming from the Kennedy mill and lifting it over two round hills for storage in an impounding dam.
In 2010, a periodic inspection of the same wheel revealed it would collapse within 10 years if no protected from the elements. Therefore, in 2011, the city formed the Save the Wheel #4 committee to raise funds and develop plans to preserve the wheel and refurbish the Kennedy Tailing Wheels Park. When this project is completed, the park will offer: 1) A refurbished kiosk with a panoramic storyboard detailing the wheels history 2) New interpretive signage identifying key elements of the park 3) ADA parking with roadway access to each feature in the park 4)A preserved Wheel #4, sheltered as it originally was with a sheet metal building covering sides and back and a see-through front showing the whole height of this magnificent structure.
This is an architectural rendering of the building that will enclose Tailing Wheel #4. The four tailing wheels were entirely enclosed in metal buildings when erected in 1914. When the metal buildings were removed in 1942 the 58 foot wood tailing wheels were exposed to the elements and therefore over time deteriorated considerably. Tailing wheels number 1 and 3 have completely collapsed since that time. In an effort to preserve the historical value of the tailing wheels the City of Jackson has successfully procured a substantial grant from the California state transportation department to upgrade the Kennedy Mine Tailing Wheel Park and enclose Tailing Wheel #4. The enclosure will include 4&rsquo x8&rsquo sheets of Plexiglas on the entire front side and the center section of the rear portion of the metal building for a wide view of the tailing wheel.