The El Dorado Builders' Exchange was founded in 1959 as a membership-based, non-profit association. The exchange was designed for licensed contractors, building material and equipment suppliers. The membership also included architects, engineers, and those in the agricultural, legal, financial and insurance fields, operating in relation to the construction industry. The original charter established principles to uphold the high industry values and represent its members on issues that affect the construction trade.
The charter members believed that by preserving the integrity, honesty, and the high standard practices in the building industry, the quality of construction would enhance the community and provide consumer protection.