The "Castle," built in 1890-1894, is the most significant example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the Mother Lode. It was built to house the Preston School of Industry, established by the State Legislature as a progressive action toward rehabilitating, rather than simply imprisoning, juvenile offenders. Doors of the 120 room "Castle" closed in 1960 after new facilities were completed.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 867